Via the NAMI.org website:
What One Person Can Do?
Not everyone may be able to participate in a public event. Some people don’t know much about mental illness. Others have limited time to devote to learning more. NAMI suggests a few basic steps that can be informative and to some degree even fun. Friends especially can encourage friends to take them to increase personal awareness during MIAW or any time of the year.
- Browse the NAMI website. Register and select the free email publications you would like to receive regularly.
- Learn the symptoms of at least three mental illnesses.
- Read a book
- Watch a movie (and read a fact sheet about the mental illness that’s part of the plot):
- Have a conversation:
- Ask a family member or friend if they know anyone close to them who has experienced a mental illness.
- Where does a person go to begin if they need help?
- What works or doesn’t work in supporting treatment and recovery?